The Maine Tobacco HelpLine
Support Leads to Success
To be able to call someone if I feel like I need to have a chew is great…
– Tony, age 30, Pittsfield
One of the hardest things to do is to quit using tobacco. Quitting is a process and sometimes it takes more than one try. Your call to the Maine Tobacco HelpLine is an important first step. If you’re having a tough time, the HelpLine offers support that can help you stay tobacco free for life.
The Maine Tobacco HelpLine answers your questions and offers friendly support to those who are thinking about quitting or who are ready to quit smoking, or those who want to help a friend or family member quit.
Download the HelpLine brochure.
Why Should I Call?
I think I knew all the tools to quit, but they were all jumbled up. With this I have learned some new behavior, and realize that I can change one step at a time.
– Helene, age 51, Androscoggin County
- It’s free and totally confidential.
- We offer positive, supportive messages. We won’t pressure you or put you down.
- We offer personal support geared to your life.
- It’s all by phone – you won’t have to worry about missing work, missing appointments, or how to watch the kids while you’re gone.
- You are 2-3 times more likely to quit with the HelpLine than when you try to quit on your own.
What Happens When I Call?
- We’ll ask questions to see what kind of help you need.
- If you are interested in quitting, you’ll talk to one of our specialists.
- If you are ready to quit, we’ll help you set a quit date, and we’ll make a plan just for you.
- We’ll help you think about what makes you smoke and give ideas to help you cope with urges.
- We’ll discuss using a nicotine patch, lozenge, or gum and let you know if you qualify for the Medication Program.
- We’ll help you feel comfortable talking about smoking.
- Once you say it’s OK, we’ll set up the next calls to see how you’re doing. We can help you reach your goals.
View What Happens When You Call, a 9-minute video that depicts a typical call to the Maine Tobacco HelpLine.
Nicotine is so addictive, but this call has got my mind more focused
– Tom, age 44, York
It’s Free, Confidential, and It Really Works
When you’re ready to quit… Call the HelpLine toll-free at 1-800-207-1230.
Back to Top